Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make Me NOT Pick Up A Book
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where we make lists of bookish things!
- Zombies: I just don't like zombie books. I know, I know, I'm strange, but it just doesn't do it for me. Zombies are mindless violence, just gory and messy. I'm not against violence, but I guess I appreciate reading more about strategy than *brains!*. Unfortunately for me, I end up reading lots of zombie books, because nobody labels flesh eating creatures as zombies anymore. Then I start reading and am disappointed.
- Romance: Anything in the romance genre. I love books that have a good romance, but actual romance books are so cheesy to me. I just roll my eyes the entire time I am reading.
- Girly: This isn't actually a word or a topic, but any book that is too girly will make me not pick it up. I used to love them. I was an avid Gossip Girl reader and I loved the TV show, but they just don't interest me anymore. I want books with high action. Dystopians. High fantasy. Magic. I just can't get into those girly books anymore. Thanks, Hunger Games.
- Poetry: I don't like poetry, never really have. I know of some books that are literally written in poetic verse and I just can't/won't ever read them.
- Biography/Memoirs: I guess I'm just not that interested in people's real lives. I like immersing myself in a fake world with fake characters. Books provide me with an escape from reality so I don't want to read about someone's hardships when I know that they are real.
- Adult: I am seriously never going to stop reading young adult. The stories are more interesting to me, they are quick reads, and the romance in them is so new and innocent. I just love everything about them.
- Historical: Unless it's something like historical mixed with fantasy. If it's just purely historical fiction, then I probably won't read it. Unless it's a classic. That's different. I prefer books that are set in the present or the future.
- Sports: It's not that I don't like sports. I do. I am a huge football fan. I love the Olympics. And I enjoy hockey, but I just don't like reading about sports.
- Babies: I don't want to read about pregnancy or babies. I'm sure this will change when I am ready to start having kids myself, but right now, I am not into it.
- Mystery: Mysteries just don't do much for me. I feel like I am reading about an episode of Criminal Minds or SVU. I used to love those shows, but it got old. I feel like it's the same story every time, so unless it is a really unique mystery book, I'm probably skipping it.
Those are my picks! What about you guys? What words/topics will make you ignore a book? Leave me a comment below!